Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chateau de Santenay Mercurey Blanc Chardonnay

I had the chance on Saturday to spend some time with my Auntie, indulging in the things we love to indulge in - shopping, gossip, Indian cuisine, and wine.  Serendipitously, a "mystery case" had arrived from Laithwaites, and she was more than happy to help me both unpack and give one a try.

Although my preference runs strongly to big, bold reds, I do enjoy a complex white as well, and the 2005 Chateau de Santenay Mercurey Blanc Chardonnay we found in the second layer of packing was precisely that!

The bottle was still a little bit too chilled from its sojourn in the FedEx truck, so I decanted the wine and we left it alone for about half an hour, to give it time to adjust to a more reasonable temperature and shake off any temperamentality it might have picked up from being over-chilled.

I loved the rich, golden color of this wine, deep and nearly honey-colored.  At 13% alcohol - with spindly legs - I was expecting this to have a crisp and dry quality, and I was not disappointed.  The warm, fruity nose gave way to a crisp and citrusy flood across my palate, with hints of vanilla and butter.  As the wine warmed in our glasses, the bouquet grew ever more complex, with peaches and vanilla stepping forward to tempt us into another sip and another and another.

The slightly mineral-y finish was a terrific complement to this complex and flavorful wine.  Although we sipped it on its own, it would be a terrific addition to the Summer dinner table, pairing nicely with grilled fish and vegetables, or pasta with a cream sauce.

This has definitely been added to my "will drink again" list!

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Maggie Metzger Brazeau, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your online rantings. Thought to myself, "how can I compete with the kind of viciously judgmental verbal diarrhea this ogre spews all over the internet?" Then It hit me! The golden rule!! Treat others as you wish to be treated. So naturally I posted a picture of you and some loved ones on a popular website (i mean, cuz they aren't real human beings with real feelings unless you meet them in person... right?)

    http://memeparty.com/

    http://memeparty.com/3263/quick-get-the-eye-bleach/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very randomly picked up a bottle of Chateau de Santenay Mercurey Blanc 2008 for a hostess gift. The hostess opened it for dinner, so I had the opportunity to sample it and WOW! It was so good I hit up Google to research the vineyard and found your post. I also typically prefer big, bold reds, but this white definitely got my attention.

    ReplyDelete